Friday, March 22, 2013

Green Juice

I woke up this morning craving something energizing, fresh and GREEN!

I knew there was kale in the fridge so I pulled out the juicer and made this sweet-tart-succulent juice.



I had to fight my children for my glass since they finished theirs before I could take this photo!

If you're new to juicing or scared you won't like it, start with this recipe. 

Ingredients:
kale
spinach
green apple
ginger
lemon

This morning I used 2 heads of kale, 4 Granny Smith apples, 2 handfuls of spinach, a thumb sized piece of peeled fresh ginger and 2 small Meyer lemons.

This recipe is also delicious with cucumber, celery, parsley and any other greens you fancy. 

My sister and I started juicing together after we watched the documentary Fat Sick & Nearly Dead.  We went to a thrift store that day and bought 2 used juicers. {One was $4, the other was $8.}

Since then I've purchased a nicer juicer and found several amazing juice recipes. 

*Tips: Rinse and chop everything before you begin and then alternate the ingredients as you juice to keep your juicer from clogging.  I usually wrap the peeled ginger in a piece of kale to keep it from getting kicked off the blade into the pulp.  I peel my lemons and throw them in whole.  The apples I quarter and juice, seeds and all.  Be sure to rinse your juicer as soon as you finish juicing.  It's a royal pain to clean once the pulp dries.  Happy juicing!

No comments:

Post a Comment